Pages

Mar 26, 2013

Review: Fujifilm Fujinon 18-55mm f/2.8-4 XF-mount zoom lens.

Review: Fujifilm Fujinon 18-55mm f/2.8-4 XF-mount zoom lens.:
DSCF3585-2
I come from a zoom background. I have almost always used zooms with my dSLR gear. I had the odd prime knocking around, but the zoom was my mainstay.  That was until I started using the Fujifilm X100 and X-Pro1 gear.  I totally fell for the prime lens.  I just love using primes now, the image quality is generally better and it makes you think a bit more about where you’re standing, makes you think about perhaps getting a more interesting composition because you can’t just zoom in/out to get what you first saw.  Using the X100 and X-Pro1 with primes made me a better photographer.  The 35mm is almost glued to my X-Pro1.  I was ‘over’ zooms and I didn’t think I needed the 18-55 zoom.  In fact, as soon as they announced an 18-55mm my mind went “What the hell are they doing?”  I mean, 18-55?? we’re talking classic cheap dSLR kit lens territory here, right?  That’s not in keeping with the X-Series philosophy.  Sure it’s f/2.8-4, but just the sound of 18-55 put me off.  I know it shouldn’t, but I can’t help associate 18-55 with a cheap low-end kit dSLR lens.
That was until I met the Fujinon 18-55 XF lens.  This little zoom blows everything out of the water about ‘kit’ zooms….
..see what more I have to say about the new zoom from Fujifilm in my review here.

No comments: